New Short Term Rental Regulations in 2023 for the Town of Hilton Head
The town of Hilton Head Island has recently passed new regulations regarding short-term rental properties. These regulations, which are part of the town's short-term rental ordinance, are designed to balance the needs of property owners with the quality of life for residents and visitors.
Some of the key changes in the ordinance include:
1. Permitting Process: Short-term rental properties will now need to apply for a permit from the town in order to operate legally. The permit application includes a number of requirements, such as proof of insurance, safety inspections, and compliance with zoning laws.
2. Occupancy Limits: To prevent overcrowding and noise complaints, short-term rental properties will now be subject to occupancy limits. The number of guests allowed will depend on the size of the property, with a maximum of two guests per bedroom plus two additional guests.
3. Noise Restrictions: To minimize noise disturbances for nearby residents, short-term rental properties will be required to adhere to noise restrictions during certain times of day. Quiet hours will be in effect from 10pm to 7am, and outdoor noise will be limited to 65 decibels during the day and 55 decibels at night.
4. Parking Requirements: Short-term rental properties will now be required to provide adequate parking for their guests. The number of required parking spaces will depend on the size of the property and the number of guests allowed.
5. Compliance Inspections: The town will conduct compliance inspections of short-term rental properties to ensure that they are following all of the new regulations. Properties that fail to comply may face fines or other penalties.
The new regulations are part of the town's ongoing efforts to balance the needs of property owners with the quality of life for residents and visitors. By ensuring that short-term rental properties are safe, quiet, and well-managed, the town is committed to providing a positive experience for everyone who visits Hilton Head Island.
If you own a short-term rental property on Hilton Head Island, it's important to familiarize yourself with the new regulations and ensure that you are in compliance. Failure to comply with the new regulations could result in fines or other penalties, so it's important to take them seriously.
Overall, the new short-term rental ordinance regulations on Hilton Head Island are a positive step forward for the town and its residents. By working together to create a positive and sustainable tourism industry, we can all enjoy the natural beauty and hospitality of Hilton Head Island for years to come.